Pippa Funnell isn’t just an Olympic medal-winning eventer, she’s also a dab hand in the kitchen as we found out in the latest episode of Daisy Dines with the Funnells.
Here’s the delicious three-course meal she made for Daisy Bunn.
Butter – very large nob (about 50-100g)
1 onion – finely chopped
Whole fat milk – ½-1pt (or however much you want)
Around 800g of mushrooms, do not skimp!
2 chicken stock cubes
Red wine (a couple of good slugs)
- Fry the onion with the butter.
- Add the milk and the mushrooms.
- Add lots of black pepper and the stock cubes.
- Add some red wine to taste
- Bring it to simmering point. Keep it simmering very gently for as long as you want, but don’t let it curdle.
Roast lamb with garlic and rosemary
Leg of lamb (about 2.5kg)
1 garlic bulb
1 bunch of rosemary
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 carrots – cut into large chunks
1 onion – cut into quarters
1 glass of red wine
1.2ltr beef or lamb stock
- Using a small knife make small cuts all over the meet (about 20-30)
- Thinly slice four garlic cloves and prod them into the holes with a small sprig of rosemary.
- Heat the oven to 190C.
- Heat a large frying pan, add a little oil and brown the lamb all over.
- Scatter the carrot, onion and the rest of the garlic and rosemary into a large roasting tin, pour in the wine and the stock and then place the lamb in the tin.
- Roast for about 1hr 45mins – turn the lamb half way though, so each side has been in the juices. If you’ve got time, and don’t have a camera crew hurrying you on (!), cover with foil and allow to rest for half an hour.
- Make the gravy – sieve all the tin juices into a saucepan, removing all the vegetables and herbs. Reduce it a little on the hob if you want to, and skim off any fat that comes to the top.
Pip’s quick and easy lemon ice-cream
1 tin condensed milk
1 large carton double cream
2 lemons – zest and juice
4 tbsp lemon curd
Mix all the ingredients together with an electric whisk, until the mixture becomes quite stiff. Freeze for at least six hours.
[bigbutton url=”https://play.horseandcountry.tv/catchup/27732006/” text=”Watch Daisy Dines with the Funnells now”]