This delicious dish features in Daisy Dines With Shane Breen, which sees the international showjumper cooking for Daisy Bunn and his family, while sharing stories about his life. Over to you Shane…
We have an aga at home and no-one ever knows exactly how hot it is, so don’t worry too much about the temperature of your oven! You can also ‘freestyle’ as much as you want with the ingredients – if you think something might be nice, pop it into the pot and try it out!
6 peppers – any combination of colours
2 onions – sliced
1kg mushrooms – sliced
4 large oranges – juice and rind
2 cans of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup – the soup must be in a can, this is very important for flavour!
1 large pot of single cream (approx. 600ml)
1kg pork fillet, cubed
1 tablespoon sugar
Salt, pepper and nutmeg to season
- Brown the onions and then add the pork – make sure it is browned on all sides.
- Fry the peppers for a few minutes, until they have reduced, and then add the mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes.
- Drain all the water that comes off the vegetables – this is VERY important and reduces the risk of gurgling (my very own special cooking term, which unfortunately the past has taught me is a cross between curdling and gurgling!)
- Combine the mushroom soup and cream in a large oven pot, and heat through on the stove.
- Add the sugar, pork and vegetables and season to taste.
- Add the juice and rind of four oranges gradually into the pot, stirring well to combine. Apparently you have to be careful not to get the white pith underneath the rind, so don’t grate too hard. But it’s never worried me and always tasted delicious!
- Pop the pot into the hot oven* and come back in about an hour – keep an eye on it and give it a few stirs. It can sit for hours marinating away nicely.
- Serve with French beans, or any green vegetables you want, and some lovely mashed potatoes – a meal for Kings!
(*While we admire Shane’s cavalier approach to his cooking, we recommend an oven temperature of 180°C.)
[bigbutton url=”https://play.horseandcountry.tv/catchup/27486695/” text=”Watch Daisy Dines with Shane Breen now”]