Jessica Mendoza wins Olympia Under 23 Final by a margin
Rio 2016 travelling reserve Jessica Mendoza was victorious in the Dodson & Horrell/World Class Programme Under 23 British Championship at Olympia today.
Riding Wan Architect, last to go Jessica finished in a time of 34.42sec to finish almost four seconds ahead of her nearest rival. Out of 24 starters, only three went clear in the first round, though the top 10 went through to the jump-off.
“It was a hard course today and it took a lot of jumping,” said Jessica. “The ones who were on four faults put in some very fast rounds in the jump-off and so I knew I had to be quick from the start.”
Jessica is becoming a regular for Team GB, despite being just 20 years old.
“She won it really well and already at this level Jess has plenty of experience above her fellow riders,” said Performance Manager, Di Lampard.
“She has been competing at the highest level for two years and she went to the European Championships in 2015 and was part of the squad that went to Rio and her journey has been helped by competing in a competition like this and so this is hugely beneficial for our young riders,” she added.
In second place was the youngest of the field, Jack Whitaker, riding Valentin R, while Yazmin Davis was third on Zilverster II.
Final placings in the 2016 U23 Final:
- Jessica Mendoza with War Architect, owned by Julia Hammond and Sarah Mendoza
- Jack Whitaker with Grade A Valentin R, owned by Emilie Machon & Michael Potter
- Yazmin Davis with Zilvester II, owned Alison Davis
- Graham Gillespie with Celine
- Millie Allen with Balou Star, owned by Peter Allen and Udo Oppermann
- Heather Larson with Imagine de Muze, owned by Susan Larson
- Miles O’Donnell with Borsato, owned by David Platt, Rosalind Platt, Claire O’Donnell and David O’Donnell
- Jake Saywell with Cantho Z, owned by Rachel Gascoine.